Monday, April 30, 2012

Confusing baby.

So my daughter looks a lot like her father.  Like a lot.  When she was first born, I couldn't even see any "me" in her at all.  Now, the older she gets, the more she is taking on some of my traits.  Despite the fact that she is beautiful, which obviously is my contribution, she still looks so much like her daddy.  I've read studies about how first born babies often look like their fathers, more than subsequent siblings, sort of as evolutionary insurance for dads: a "natural paternity test" if you will.  Is this science fool-proof? No, of course not, but if you google this phenomenon, you will see that there might could be something to it.

I myself look a lot like my father.  I've always looked like his side of the family, but there have been more than a few occasions where I am struck by just how much I resemble my own father.  My brother and sister have moments where they look more like my mom or my dad, but neither look so similar on a regular basis.  Now to the point.

Now, my daddy look-a-like daughter loves to look at family photos.  LOVES to look at them.  She points out the people she knows (MomMom, Mike, Step-eee, PopPop, Nanny, and so on).  She knows pretty much everyone in our family and she loves to tell us.  She loves looking at pictures so much that she will pick up my computer and bring it to me so that we can sit and look.  It also works when I want a few minutes of sit-still time...my child will sit still and look at pictures for a very long time.

So last week, we decided to look at pictures.  She wanted to look at MomMom and PopPop in particular.  So I went online to their respective facebook pages (yes, they both have facebook accounts) and started to go through their online albums.  I ask my daughter "Who is this?" and she responds accurately.

When I came to this picture of my father and said "And who is this?":

She responded "Mommy."  I had to laugh and I said, "No.  It's PopPop, just a younger PopPop." She got very upset and said "No PopPop.  Mommy."  How could I argue?  It does look like me.


So the immediate picture after this one in my dad's online album was this one:



Same question, but my daughter instead said it was "Step-eee".  This one looks more like my sister than any picture of me looks like my dad.  In my opinion.  And my daughter couldn't tell the difference.

Love you guys.  Here is a more recent picture of us three. And yes, we normally dress like this.


1 comment:

  1. This is too funny. I can just see Elise stomping her foot and saying NO when you were trying to convince her the picture was PopPop and not Mommy. Love this!

    And while I'm at it, you should write more. Do it. Boom.

    ReplyDelete