Friday, February 10, 2012

Elise's Daycare...this will be funny...at least I think so.

As most of you probably know, I am a working mom.  I am fortunate in that my situation allows me to work, as a lawyer, part-time.  Not only do I have an awesome and understanding boss, but I have an amazing husband who supports my decision and basically lets me do what I want.  Most of the time.  What I want is to be at home with my daughter part of the time.  When Elise was born, I did not think I could leave her alone at all.  Like not even for a minute.  I actually took about 5 months completely off work (I did work from home when we had a big Appellate case) and returned to work one day a week for the next three.  Since April 2011, I've worked 3 to 4 days a week (as my boss needs additional work) and it has worked out great!  I get to spend two days at home with Elise and three earning the money to pay off my student loans!  And having adult conversations.  And eating lunch in peace.  And generally feeling completely fulfilled by overall situation.

So when I am at work, Elise goes to daycare.  Again, we are very lucky that we did not have to engage ourselves in the battle to find decent care in Atlanta.  I've heard from a lot of my other friends tell me how the battle is fought: fill out applications to multiple (and expensive!) in-town daycares; wait; wait some more; wait sometimes more than a YEAR; find out if there is an opening for your child; pay a lot of money for daycare if you're lucky enough to get in...and don't think about calling to see if you will be told what spot on the waiting list you occupy...you won't be told.  So we got to avoid this whole process because Eugene's firm has its own daycare.  It is called Bright Beginnings and it is right around the corner from Eugene's office.  Aside from the fact that Eugene can take Elise to and from daycare on the days she goes, BB also has a part-time program (which a lot of Atlanta daycares do not) and we get a steeply discounted rate in comparison to market.  So all in all, we are very fortunate and Elise loves going!  She now comes home to tell me the names of the other kids in her class and gets excited to put on her coat in the mornings to go with daddy!  So now for the funny part.

As you might know, February is Black History Month.  At BB, there is a lot of effort made to teach the kids, even the babies and toddlers, about special events.  There are books read and activities done for what seems like all the "bank" holidays (Columbus Day, President's Day, Abe Lincoln's Birthday...).  We get notes home from the teachers everyday, describing the activities of the day.  On "normal" days, Elise makes food, plays
with sand, goes outside, makes things with noodles, sings songs, etc.  Well, for February, BB decided to celebrate Black History Month the other day.  Our note home said,

"Elise celebrate Black History Month today.  We learned about Nathaniel Alexander who invented the folding chair.  In appreciation of chairs, the children experienced life without chairs and ate lunch and snack on the floor."

I literally lol'd.  My first thought was "well, do the kids eat on folding chairs?"  The answer is no.  They do not.  They eat on adorable little chairs that do not fold.  I am pretty sure that chairs were around for a long time before Mr. Alexander came along.  So yea.  I get what BB was trying to do, but it was just so funny for me.  My next thought was, "I am sure my 18 month old understood why they weren't eating on chairs."  She barely understands that you can't stand on a chair.

So yeah.  That made me smile.  I do love her "school" and love that they are teaching my daughter so much.  But that note home was just too much!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment