Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dorito the Prince Pony.

This is a post about the weird things I used to pretend.  I know all kids are full of pretending but I wonder if most were as weird or morbid as me.  Please let me know where you and I compare on the weirdness scale.

I used to pretend I was a horse.  Now wait.  Not just "a horse."  There were at least three variations.  First, in third grade, I was "Dorito the prince pony."  I was the fastest girl in my class so I was automatically the one the other kids got to chase.  Being that all the other kids were my female friends, they wanted to chase a boy but since no boys wanted to play girl games, I got to be the "boy" that they would chase.  So I became "Dorito."  Why? One of the girls really liked Doritos.  So I pretended to be "Dorito" and I was a prince in disguise as a lonely little pony.  I was lonely because people didn't like me and didn't know I was a prince.  So they chased me.  When I got older, like fourth grade, I still wanted to pretend to be a horse so instead of maintaining my "Dorito" moniker, I switched to akwardly galloping everywhere and slapping my hands on my thighs making a gallop noise.  Come to think of it, I did this before I became Dorito.  I did it after I left Dorito behind.  God I was akward.  AND THEN, after I stopped pretending to be Dorito and after I stopped galloping around like an idiot, I would pretend that this winged horse would run alongside any car I happened to be riding in.  This winged horse would jump over the debris in the shoulder of the road and would occasionally fly over low-hanging tree branches.  My pretending only gets worse.

I used to pretend I was a werewolf.  Seriously.  I am Italian therefore I have nice thick, dark and bushy eyebrows.  I was a blond when I was little...I mean really toeheaded.  Do you remember that episode of Full House when Joey got called toeheaded and he thought it was an insult saying he looked like a toe? Or how about that Family Guy where Peter says Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a foot?  Well she does but it is not related to my story at all.  Just related to foot-looking commentary.  And I digress. 

So anyway, being a blond and having really dark bushy eyebrows that grew together in the middle made for a really beautiful 10 year old.  I didn't mention that my eyebrows grew together? Well they did and they do (or rather they would if I didn't get them threaded EVERY three weeks and pluck them EVERY day in between.  No joke).  So anyway, for some reason, I was trying to come up with an excuse for my eyebrows and I thought "werewolf" made sense.  So I pretended at recess that I could attack people and make them werewolves and I would tell kids to be careful becuase they wouldn't know when the werewolf would take over my body and attack. 

Similarly, I pretended I was a vampire.  This was way before all the Twilight craziness.  But just about the time Bradd Pitt and Tom Cruise made vampires look delicious.  So I wanted to be a vampire.  Is that so horrible? I think I even bit some people.  But only when I was provoked, of course.

I also used to pretend to be a dead German girl.  I know.  I said it got worse.  When I was little, I took German lessons for several years.  This meant that I had a rudimentary grasp of the German language when I was in elementary school which was more than any of my classmates.  I also had a Dirndl, which is a traditional German dress.  Well, I would put my Dirndl on and tell people (mostly this girl I didn't like) that I had died in World War II and returned as a ghost.  Then I would sing a song in German and maybe throw the German alphabet in for good measure and threaten to linger and do gastly and ghostly things.

I think that is enough about me and my weirdness.  For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment