Monday, June 13, 2011

Scrabiolies.

Do you ever just make words up? Maybe call something by another name just because it sounds better/funnier/more disgusting? I seem to do it all the time.  I also come up with nicknames for people because it makes me smile. For instance:

1. Ravioli-I call Scrabioli.  Why? Because it sounds kind of gross and it always makes me smile.
2. Squish-Squidgey.
3. Baby-bubbie.
4. Mosquito-Moss-Squee-Toe.
5. I am sure there are more but right now my brain doesn't remember.

10-12-11: Now I remember more:
6. Shrimp-Skrimps.
7. Macaroni-Smackaroni.


Some of the names I call my favorite people?

Eugene-My husband is lucky enough to have several nicknames, but the one I use the most is G-Doody.  His middle name is Dudley, if that helps this make sense.

Michael-This is my brother and probably the first person I ever nicknamed.  More than likely, I just couldn't say his name right, but I called him Mikemel.  I don't do this anymore.  At least not often.

Stephanie-This is my sister but since I can remember, I've called her Neffertiti.  Similar sound but somehow I like it more.

Scott-My friend from college.  I call him Scooty Pants.

Philip-So this is a wierd one.  I call him Felip Navidad.

On that same note, when we decided to name Elise, I was so afraid that I would call her "Felise Navidad." I was actually afraid of the nickname I might subconsciously give my own child. Talk about wierd. 

There are lots more, I'm sure.  I do it all the time.  I have nicknames for old college friends (My friend Emily, I called Chutney because her last name sounded like this delicious spread; my friend Kimberly I called Fraulein (and then Frau after she got married) because we were both in German class together) and I'm even calling my friend's unborn baby girl Breedra because my friend is Tedra and her name was a combination of the names of her parents.  Tedra's husband is Brett, so Breedra is a combination of the two ( I also suggested Terrett, but this didn't stick).  My other friends have also started calling the baby Breedra, so this makes it even funnier.  At least to me.  I make these names out of love and it is usually only my favorite people that get such names.


On that same note, everyone does this-you think a song says one thing, but it actually says another? I am probably the worst person to remember lyrics.  Hell, I even forget the words to my favorite songs.  ALL THE TIME.  But, making up words? These are the two I really remember.

1. "Look out any window" by Bruce Hornsby.  I thought it said "Look out Eddie Winslow."  This was when Family Matters was really popular. 

2. "Trouble in the sewers" is what I thought Billy Joel said in "We didn't start the fire" when he actually says "Trouble in the Suez."  Again, tv probably influenced me because Ninja Turtles were fighting all sorts of trouble in the sewers.

1 comment: