Thursday, March 24, 2011

Adventures in birthing a baby.

I started with a post about me and who I am.  The first and most important thing you must know about me is that I am a new mother.  This means I like to talk about my baby.  She is my world.

How much I love her aside, I am very passionate about how this beautiful being came into the world.  I gave birth to a mermaid.  A mermaid, you ask? Is this possible?  Indeed it is.  Finless and scale-less, but a mermaid nontheless.

I gave birth in a hot pool of water.  It was intentional.  I was not one of those women who "didn't know I was pregnant" and birthed a baby when I thought I was merely soaking in a luxurious bubble bath.  No, I chose to have my baby in a tub.  Google it.  There are a lot of videos out there.  I will not post a video of my experiences waterbirthing. 
Why would anyone choose a waterbirth? For me it was simple. I didn't want my legs in stirrups with a bunch of people crowded around looking into my hoohah. I didn't want drugs. I didn't want drugs with a passion.  I didn't want drugs with a passion that suprised me because I have a very low threshold for pain.  However, after doing a lot of research on the topic of birthing, I decided that having my baby in a way that was convenient or best for anyone other than my baby or myself was not what I wanted to do. I also am concerned about the drugs that are used and the unknown long-term problems they may cause.  I used a midwife, labored for 28 hours and in the end, had my baby the way I wanted.  It was an amazing experience that I will try to replicate for my next baby(ies). 

Today I am a happily recovered mama.  I breastfeed, I make my own baby food (sometimes), I co-sleep and I wear my baby around town.  I am a member of AP Moms of Atlanta and will post about the rest of that stuff later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment