Sunday, March 27, 2011

How I wooed my husband.

I met my husband, Eugene, back in the summer of 2003.  We met at the University of Georgia during summer classes.  Both of us majored in criminal justice (I also majored in Psychology). I happened to want to graduate in four years so that meant I needed to take summer classes. The class was Criminology.  As I happen to be something of a nerd, I usually sat in the front of the class.  I sat in the front of this class on the first day.  When I first saw Eugene, all I saw was this really tall guy walking to the front of the class to get a syllabus.  I always notice the tall guys.  In addition to being tall, this guy had a goatee too.  I don't like goatees.  After noticing the tall guy with the goatee go to get his syllabus, I barely gave him a second look...that was until he turned around...and to my suprise, this tall, goateed guy was wearing a Smashing Pumpkins t-shirt!! I have sort of an obsession with bald guys and the Smashing Pumpkins, but I will try to refrain from digressing too much. 

So, this tall, goateed, Smashing Pumpkins t-shirted guy got his syllabus and went to his seat in the back of the class.  Where the bad kids sit.  I was interested.

Interested, yes, but without a plan. I didn't think too much about the "guy." The next day I was late for class.  Being late, I didn't want to interrupt the class too much so I just got a seat in the back.  I honestly didn't pay too much attention to where I was sitting until I realized that I was in the same row as Mr. Goatee.  I thought "fate" was somehow involved so I decided to give fate a hand and see if I could start something special.

Each day after that second day, I sat in the back row.  I thought I was being stealthy and every few days I would move a seat closer.  I tried to act like I just didn't remember what seat I normally sat in. (in case you couldn't tell, I am so cool.)  After about 10 days, I was only two seats away from goatallboy.  I had decided that I would try to actually talk to him if he wore the Pumpkins shirt again, believing that I had no reason to talk to him aside from the shirt.  And I couldn't just ask him about his shirt because it had been weeks since he wore it last, so I would look like a stalker. And this was in the days before facebook, where one could stalk anonymously.

As luck would have it, tall goat boy spoke first.  It was not, however, to me.  The first time I heard his voice was when he had to answer a question posed by the professor.  I had no idea what I expected when I heard his voice, but it was not the deeply southern drawl that spewed forth.  I immediately thought that I had made a mistake in trying to sit closer to this tall redneck.  The accent explained the goatee, so at least there was that.  I decided that his height outweighed his potential stupidity so I decided to stay the course.

After a few more days, I finally worked up the nerve to talk to redneck tall boygoat.  Much to my suprise, this guy was smart.  Really smart.  Although I don't remember the exact words of our first conversation, I do remember that we discussed going to law school and I decided that this smart tall guy with a goatee would be a nice guy to date.  He told me that he had already taken the law school entrance exam and that I could borrow his books.  I decided that if he remembered to bring me the books, I would ask him out.  He brought me the books the next day so I asked him out.  We went to have coffee after class and I hastily gave him my phone number as I exited the campus bus later that afternoon.

It was fourth of July that weekend and I was going out of town.  I hoped he would call while I was gone.  I told my mom I met the man that I would marry.  I'm a little psychic...

He did call but I wasn't with my phone.  He left a message.  I tried to call him back but he had used a CALLING CARD to call me.  Looking back, it is quite adorable.  I mean, who uses calling cards anyway? We never did talk on the phone that weekend but we talked when classes resumed and the rest is history. Our first date is a good story for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment